Saturday, March 20, 2010

Fullboy - Cambodia - Laughing Cows!

Kratie was more of a stopping off town en-route to Siem Reap. We opted out of the much touted river dolphin spotting as the creatures were so rare and threatened that we just wanted to leave them in peace. That left us with very little to do other than to explore the small town centre and market. There were some good fresh fruit stalls and we tried some of the local tropical delights, our favourite being the delicious rambutan, very similar to a lychee in flavour and colour with a dramatic soft, spiny shell that peels away to reveal the luscious, juicy fruit. We sat down by the river, bought a green coconut and drank the refreshing water contained within. When finished we asked the lady if she'd chop the coconut open so we could pick at the beautiful, white flesh inside. Tropical was the definitely the word of the day until we toned things down a bit by ordering a Laughing Cow cheese spread baguette and what looked like a pate baguette. I'm still not entirely sure what the 'pate' was but it was sweet, a bit gooey and not all that nice. The spam like meat that accompanied the baguette was not pleasant either. The cheese baguette wasn't all that much better, I think I'd be being generous if I said the lady used a half a triangle of cheese on it!! Very disappointed with the sandwiches I decided to have a look around the market to see if I could find some plain baguettes so I could make my own. Finding the fresh bread was not a problem and I bought some lovely French sticks for pennies. I found a shop and couldn't resist buying a pack of Laughing Cow cheese spread, definitely a childhood fave. We went back to our room and made our own baguettes which were infinitely better. Time to move on!!


























My tummy hadn't been right since I had my first gastro attack back in Laos and I was feeling a little worse for wear as we arrived in Siem Reap. I began to think that maybe certain brands of the bottled water were to blame but to be honest, I had no clue as to what was causing it. After a few mornings of exploring the outstanding Angkor Wat temples, and sunny afternoons relaxing on a rooftop pool with cocktails, there weren't many exciting meals to write about. Siem Reap was extremely foreigner orientated, obviously the temples are a worldwide attraction so every international cuisine was catered for. I was sticking to the bland food to try and sort out my belly again but we did have some nice bbq frog, the legs in particular were meaty and juicy. I can see why the French like them so much now!



















Still not feeling right!! It was really starting to annoy me now as my appetite had been affected too. We did have one lovely meal in Pnomh Penh at a very nice restaurant called Khmer Borane. It could almost be described as Cambodian fine dining. We ordered the sticky caramel pork, fillets of river fish and a pomelo salad. The food was exquisitely cooked and worth the extra few pennies!! The large chunks of moist pork had a delicate sweet flavour and the hard boiled eggs were an added bonus. The pomelo (a type of grapefruit) salad, was light, zesty and flavoursome and the fish fillets were perfect.






































We had a few other decent meals in Pnomh Penh, one at 4am as we left the infamous Heart of Darkness nightclub, can't quite remember what it was but it hit the spot!! Another highlight was buying a ready-cooked bbq chicken, a few baguettes and some mayonnaise and making some fat chicken mayo sandwiches... mmmmmmm!! Finally, we had a wonderful Vietnamese beef noodle soup, more commonly known in Vietnam as pho (pronounced fer!!) Which leads us on to Vietnam... Goodbye Cambodia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment